Monday, November 3, 2008

Gabriel Percy Shelly Whitman Donne Tennyson Longfellow


In October, Yew Chung School participated with other schools around the world for International Poetry Day. Each of the students, regardless of grade, was required to produce a poem on that day with the theme being a haiku. A haiku poem is Japanese in origin and consists of three phrases of 17 syllables. The first line is 5, the second 7, and the third 5. Gabriel produced the following haiku:

It's Homeworkzilla
It's terrorizing my desk
NO! It's 10 o'clock!


The English teacher that coordinated the event told me that she and the other judge had picked Gabriel's poem as a winner in the Primary grades. I was pretty proud and I had to keep it to myself until the winners were announced this week.


Wish I had brought a copy of Dead Poets Society with me. I really want to watch that now...

3 comments:

Beatrix said...

congratulations

Unknown said...

Gabriel, that is the best haiku ever written! They should make you an honorary Japanese student-of-the-year or something. Well done!

Teresa & Connie said...

I had a dream last night that Tammy was pregnant and was wearing maroon tights. I don't know where the tights come into play, but you guys had a girl! :)