Saturday, October 25, 2008

International Day



One of the big "days" at the school we are working at is International Day. Every year the school student body is divided into different "countries". The kids learn about the various countries they are assigned to as well as designing an outfit native to that country. Tammy and I were the "German" team leaders and spent Thursday afternoon sewing suspenders and outfitting hats to create a team of Barvarian students. (My initial thought to outfit them as stormtroopers and have them go as the Nazi "youth league" was vetoed by Tammy. She was probably right, educators have no sense of humor on those things :)

On Sat. morning, the children initially came to school with a costume from their home country. Tammy and I threw on some baseball attire while Gabriel dressed as a cowboy. After a parade around the school grounds we retreated to our classes to put on our "Barvarian" clothes. Then, I led my "team" every half hour to a different station where they got to learn about, and participate in, activities from Canada, Thailand, Mexico, Kenya, India, and Korea.


After an International "potluck" lunch, we went to the open field where we had tug-o-war contests and other assorted games including baseball. As you can see from the pictures, I too dressed kind of silly. I promised the older kids that I would not ask them to do anything that I, myself, were not prepared to do. But a good time was had by all.

2 comments:

Teresa & Connie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa & Connie said...

Hahahaha! Wow we miss your humor! I'll be praying for you guys to get a little miracle soon by the way!! :)