Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Beijing


My passport is going to expire in March and with a Christmas planned in Hong Kong I thought I'd better get it renewed. Ten years ago I could not get checked in to a flight for Singapore because I needed six months left on my passport and I only had five. Was not going to let that happen again!

Unfortunately, I needed to go to Beijing, where the U.S. Embassy is located. This involved flying there, taking a taxi into the city, dropping off the passport application, taking a taxi back to the airport, and flying home. Lots of fun!

Some interesting things happened along the way. First of all, I could not believe how much Beijing has changed. I lived there in 1991 for 6 months and have not visited there since 1994. First of all the airport had transformed from a hick, backward structure to a 21st Century ultra modern facility. The airport even had a Burger King. I don't eat much fast food anymore but after 4 months in Qingdao, when I saw it, I wanted to cry. Great Wall? Been there (13 times). Forbidden City? Been done... Tiananamen Square? Have led tours. Not one of those things could be as fulfilling in that moment as a Double Beef Whopper with Cheese, Fries, and a Coke made my way . :)

The city has also transformed from a city that gets around by bike, to a city that gets around by car. Huge new roads and avenues ring the city but that still didn't stop me from getting stuck in traffic as heavy as any L.A.freeway.




Because my flight was not until later in the evening, I had a chance to visit an old friend of mine who runs a business outside of Beijing. Because of the company's Christian roots they also operate a children's foster agency called New Day Foster Home. The foster home takes in children who are "special need". Often the children are abandoned because of their handicap and the fortunate ones end up at New Day. I heard the stories of many of these precious children which often involved many life saving surgeries to repair hearts, stomachs, deformities and the like. My heart went out, not only for these precious children, but for the many volunteers, and to the parents who adopt these kids into their home. Jesus' quote, "Whatever you do for the least of my brethren, you have done it for me" was never so appropriate than in this foster home.

The trip to Beijing lasted less than 12 hours but my time at New Day will be with me much, much longer.

3 comments:

Beatrix said...

I cried many times when I heard of these stories. What comforts me is knowing that they are in God's miracle hands. They are special, unique and precious in his eyes.

Unknown said...

Steve, notice any other differences such as the air being a browner shade of brown? Beijing's air was always bad, especially in winter when coal fires were being lit, but now it seems positively toxic on bad days. The new buildings are cool though. It's like free-play time for architects.

Steve H. said...

Yeah, the pollution is not good. It was fun to smell that familiar smell of coal fires everywhere...

And yes, the architects are having a field day