Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hong Kong Pt.2 : Disneyland


In 1999, just as we were packing to return to America from Hong Kong, the big news in the territory was the confirmation that a Disneyland would be built. When we arrived in Hong Kong at Christmas time I knew one of the things I really wanted to do was to take Gabriel there and experience Disney in Asia.

I had been warned by friends before going not to get my hopes up, that it was "small" and did not have any thrill rides apart from Space Mountain. Thats OK though, I thought. I love all things Disney so Gabriel and I headed out to the park a couple days before Christmas.

Hong Kong Disneyland has the look and feel of Disneyland in America except with some subtle differences to appeal to the Chinese local. In addition to cheeseburgers and french fries, one can get Kung Pao chicken or Sweet and Sour pork. But on Dec. 23rd it all looked like Christmas.

I did get into trouble with Gabriel briefly by getting him to go onto Space Mountain when deep down I knew he wouldn't like it. He did it, but I pretty much assured that he wouldn't try a rollarcoaster again for the next 10 years.

People had said we would be finished with the park after just a few short hours. Not so for Gabriel and I. We arrived at 12 noon and stayed until after the park closed at 9:00 PM. We rode things two or three times, ate, shopped and just enjoyed each other and the park. Whether it was the Jungle Cruise or Winnie the Pooh, we just enjoyed the fusion of Disney and Christmas!

The fireworks were amazing and as we began walking back up Main Street USA for our departure, a Disney produced "snow" began to fall creating a surreal "Dickensian" like Christmas scene.

At one point Gabriel asked, "Papa, is this a little like heaven will be?"

"Yeah," I replied, "but this is just a glimpse."

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Excellent - I love all things Disney and your posting brought a little tear to my eye.