Saturday, October 11, 2008

Gabriel the Sailor


At Yew Chung International School we offer a number of after school extracurricular activities. Each child is required to to take at least one course and each teacher has to teach one. I am running a Bible club on Monday afternoons and assisting with the Film Making club on Thursdays. I have 9 students in my Bible Club and we are studying the Book of John. In American public schools, students can have a Bible study, but a teacher is not allowed to lead it. I am able to lead one here and consider it ironic that I have to come to China for some religious freedom :)

Gabriel has chosen to do sailing on Saturdays. Yesterday was his first day and he was picked up promptly at 7:00 AM by the school van. He traveled across the bay to the Olympic sailing center where he will go every Sat. for the next 10 weeks. For 6 hours yesterday they learned knot tying, capsizing, and balance.

I was a little nervous because he left at 7:00 AM and was not returned until 6:30 that evening. Its a long day and being that the course wasn't cheap, Tammy and I were afraid he'd come home overwhelmed and we would have to spend the next 9 weeks forcing him to go to recoup our investment and develop his commitment.


No Worries!! He came through the door wearing the sailing shirt and hat they gave him as well as the biggest smile. "I LOVED it!" he exclaimed.

1 comment:

Beatrix said...

It's amazing to have a bible study group in China!