Monday, March 30, 2009

"The Embassy" otherwise known as Starbucks

There was a time when I used to avoid Starbucks. Partly because I didn't like the coffee, partly to avoid the bandwagon everyone was jumping on, but mostly I was fundementally opposed to an organization that seemed to have three franchises in site from any rooftop.

Over the last couple years as I regularly met at Starbucks in Boulder with friends for prayer and worked at a business that had its own Starbuck, my stance softened until I too capitulated to the love the rest of humanity seems to have for Starbucks.



Living in Huangdao China, my love for Starbucks has grown even stronger. In previous posts we explained how Huangdao is an "up and coming" development area across the bay from Qingdao proper. Its beautiful here but there is a sense of being "cut off" from some of the amenteties of the city across the bay.



Fortunantly there is a "Starbucks" here or as westerners refer to it, "The Embassy".

Starbucks is the one place where you can almost feel like you are back in the West.
The artwork, decor, and product is all exactly like we would have in the States.



Huge comfy chairs, relaxing music, and overpriced java create a "we're home" feel. Now, don't get me wrong, we love living in China, but sometimes...you just need to take a break and Starbucks offers a relaxing calm from the cultural storm that swirls around it. Recently a local man came in talking loudly on his cell. He sat near us and talked at a decibal that seemed to have the cups rattling. Tammy leaned over and got his attention and then motioned for him to "zip it". I was surprised by her boldness and that the guy really did quickly get off the phone. Tammy simply said, "He can talk as loud as he wants anywhere else, but he can't disturb the peace of The Embassy."



Huangdao does not have a huge foreign population so you end up seeing everyone in there at some point. I like nothing more than getting a large mug of black coffee and curling up with my video ipod to watch a downloaded episode of Meet the Press or This Week with George Stephanopoulos

Of course, they play Christmas music in March which is a little weird. And I can almost imagine the conversation that goes on behind that decision, "The White people like Christmas...give 'em Christmas."

Anyhow, Starbucks has become our place to chill and where everyone does seem to know your name.

4 comments:

Christine&Mark said...

Oh dear what is happening to you Hackmans!!?? I can remember feeling the exact same way about MacDonalds in Honkers where I would crave fillet o'fish as a little comfort blanket from home!! I am glad to say that the feeling did pass when we came back to 'blighty and now the thought of eating at MD's has NO appeal any longer!!

Teresa & Connie said...

I want to know how "things" are...I'm keepin my question on the DL just in case lol

Steve H. said...

Christine: Yeah, I don't do the MacDonalds anymore. Once in a rare moon, but I need to keep the heart healthy. Miss Hong Kong though...

Teresa: Might be good to keep some questions on the DL until we get home this summer. Will be back State side after June 29 for a couple months. Hope you are well... Great to hear from you

kstroess said...

hackman!
i've just read through the last month of your posts...mark and i sure miss hearing your stories in person.

please say hi to tam and g.
love you guys,
karin

(oh, and a big warm and fuzzy hug for libby from mark.)